Australian Shepherds puppies are very energetic and they require a lot of attention. They love running around because they are herding dogs. As you train them, you will want to know how to reward them properly, but you want to make sure that the treats you are using are right for them.
Treats are a great way to reward them for good behavior and to give them some extra nutrition. Read on to discover the five best treats for Aussie puppies, and to discover some healthy homemade dog treats you can make.
What Treats Are Best for Aussie Puppies?
Everyone who gets a puppy wonders what type of treats they should provide for their puppy. Some may even consider that they do not want to have any treats. However, having treats for your puppy is not a bad thing at all. The key is moderation.
Aussie puppies are very energetic dogs. They are herding dogs, so it is their instinct to want to run around and be very active. It can be a switch for them when they come to your home.
Treats need to be moderated when you incorporate them into your puppy’s diet. They should only formulate a small part of it. However, the treats you provide your Aussie puppy should be good for them, too. Therefore, it is important to look carefully at what you get for treats. Consider the following elements of a good treat for your Aussie puppy.
- Chewy. Aussie puppies love to chew things. So, the treats you get for them should be something they can chew for a while. This will keep them busy and will reward them for their good behavior.
- Nutritional. You want to make sure their treats are nutritional, too. While most of their nutritional needs will be met through the regular food you provide them, you want their treats to supplement that nutrition, too. So, make sure the treats you get your puppy do not have sugar, for example.
- Natural. Also make sure, if you can, that the treats you buy have a lot of natural ingredients. If you can get an all-natural one, that is even better. You want the best treats for your Aussie puppy, so make sure the ingredients are the best, too.
- Taste. Puppies do not want to eat any treat that is not tasty. Bland food will not be consumed the same way as something that, for example, tastes like peanut butter.
- Softness. Make sure the treats are too not hard as this can hurt their teeth. When they are puppies they will be teething, so something that is a bit softer will help them. Moreover, if it is softer they can chew it for a longer time.
Keeping these elements in mind will help direct you to the right treats for your Aussie puppy, and the treats you get them, they will appreciate.
The Top Treats for Aussie Puppies
When you are looking for the top treats for your Aussie puppy, it can become a little overwhelming because of all the options out there. There are so many brands to choose from that it may seem that you are just choosing one blindly.
However, there are some treats you should consider when shopping for your Aussie puppy. With the elements of a good treat in mind, here are five of the top treats for Aussie puppies.
- Wellness Soft Puppy Bites
- N-Bone Puppy Teething Rings
- Pig Ears
- Blue Buffalo Health Bars
- Amazing Dog Treats Filled Dog Bone
Some of these treats are specific brands and some are generic. However, they will also provide your Aussie puppy with a treat they will love. The best thing about buying treats for your Aussie puppy is that they are easily found in stores nearby and also online.
Taking a closer look at each one will show the benefits they provide and why you should consider them for your Aussie puppy.
Wellness Soft Puppy Bites
Wellness is a brand that makes a lot of good treats for your puppy. Their soft puppy bites are no exception. There is a lot to like about these specific treats. They make their soft puppy bites with two different types of meats, which your puppy will really appreciate.
Moreover, these treats are soft, so they will not harm your puppy’s teeth. Remember, you want your treats to be softer rather than harder. Of course, hard treats have their place, too, but it is best to make sure they are not too hard.
The Wellness Soft Puppy Bites also include fruits and vegetables in the ingredients. These treats have a lot of vitamins included in their formula, which is great for your puppy. Your puppy is growing and will need a lot of nutrients to grow up strong.
The combination of meat and fruits/vegetables is perfect for providing them with what they need. Additionally, these treats are all-natural, so they do not include any harmful ingredients or anything artificial.
N-Bone Puppy Teething Rings
When your puppy is young, they are teething and these teething rings are perfect to help them through this phase. When your puppy is teething, new teeth are replacing the old ones, and this can be painful for them.
The teething rings from N-Bone are shaped in a circle, and they are chewy. They help alleviate the pain associated with teething, and your Aussie puppy will spend a lot of time chewing on these rings.
They are also flavored like chicken, which makes them a tasty treat for your puppy. The N-Bone puppy teething rings are not only a great treat to give your Aussie puppy, but it is also a practical one, too, since it will help with their teething.
These teething rings are also loaded with calcium and protein, which are great for your puppy. It will help with their teeth and will keep them healthy. When puppies teeth, they can exhibit bad behavior. These treats will help avoid that behavior.
Pig ears are a classic treat for puppies of all breeds, and Aussie puppies also love them. You have probably seen them in the supermarket or pet store in your town. They are easily obtained, and they are very tasty for dogs.
When you are looking for pig ears for your puppy, make sure you look for all-natural pig ears. You do not want to get any that are overly processed or even artificial as this will mitigate the quality of the treat. All-natural pig ears are popular among puppies.
Why is this? Pig ears are harder than other treats, but they are not too hard, either. In fact, they are just soft enough to not harm the puppy’s teeth, but they are soft enough to be chewed for hours and hours. This makes it a perfect way to redirect their chewing tendencies to something you want them to chew.
Moreover, pig ears should only be given as treats and not every day. This is because, while they are loaded with protein, they have a high percentage of fat in them. If you give pig ears too often, you can risk obesity in your puppy.
However, this should not deter you from getting them some pig ears because they are tasty, have protein, and will allow them to chew it like a toy for a considerable amount of time.
Blue Buffalo Health Bars
Your puppy does not always want to chew their treats. Sometimes the best treat is a simple crunchy one. Blue Buffalo Health Bars are a top treat for your Aussie puppy. They are all-natural and are small. However, be sure to practice moderation because it can be easy to give too many to your puppy.
Consider some of these benefits to using the Blue Buffalo Health Bars for your Aussie puppy’s next treat.
- Uses real bacon. There are a lot of treats out there that contain fake bacon or artificial meat flavorings, but this is not the case with Blue Buffalo. They use real bacon baked right into the biscuits.
- The flavor is great. The flavor of these health bars is also quality because of the real ingredients they use. For example, if a treat uses artificial bacon, then the treat will not taste as nice to your puppy, and they will be less likely to want it.
- Does not use artificial ingredients. Additionally, the health bars do not use any artificial ingredients. Instead, they use real oatmeal and real barley, which are great for your puppy’s health.
- Good for the immune system. These health bars are also good for the health of your puppy because they include important health benefits. These health bars have antioxidants and omega-3 acids, which are all very important when your puppy is growing up.
While these treats may not be soft, they are crunchy. So you do not have to worry about your Aussie puppy hurting their teeth while eating them.
Amazing Dog Treats Filled Dog Bone
Another top treat you can give your Aussie puppy is filled dog bones. Amazing Dog Treats make a great one that is all-natural and safe for your puppy. Moreover, this is a great option because it is good for all stages of your puppy’s life. So, when they grow up, you can still give them this one and they will still enjoy it.
But why are these filled dog bones so good for your Aussie puppy? There are many reasons, and one of them is that they can chew it for a good amount of time because they are trying to remove the treat that is filled on the inside. Consider these other reasons to get a filled dog bone for your Aussie puppy.
- Dental health. By chewing these bones, the puppy is helping their dental health. It will keep their mouth clean and healthy. It is easy on the teeth, but it will keep them in top shape.
- Refillable. If your puppy eats all the filling, you do not have to worry about buying new bones. You can refill them yourself. You can take some peanut and stuff it inside, which will give new life to the bone.
- Good for the heart. These treats are also good for the heart. The Amazing Dog Treats bone, for example, uses acai fruit, which is great for your puppy’s heart health.
- All-natural. These treats are also made from all-natural ingredients. They do not use artificial colorings, chemicals, or anything that is harmful to your Aussie puppy.
Remember, Aussie puppies love to chew, so these are great for them. They can be used as rewards for big achievements in your puppy’s life.
Healthy Homemade Dog Treats for Aussie Puppies
Sometimes you do not want to buy treats for your puppy. This is understandable because making it yourself can be a rewarding experience. When you make the treats yourself you will also know exactly what was used to make them.
You can avoid preservatives of any kind when you make the treats yourself because they are made to be used right away. Another benefit of making your own healthy dog treats for your Aussie puppy is that it will be cheaper than buying some of the top-tier commercial dog treats.
Consider these five healthy homemade dog treats for your Aussie puppy.
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Fruit and Yogurt Mix
- Homemade Biscuits
- Cheese Treats
- Chewy Vegetable Strips
Make sure you avoid sugar if you can when making anything for your Aussie puppy. They are not meant to consume sugar the way humans do. Moreover, make sure the ingredients you use are as natural and unprocessed as possible. This will ensure the health benefits of the treats you are making.
Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut butter is loved by practically all breeds of dogs. Your Aussie puppy loves it, too, so using peanut butter in a homemade treat is a great idea. Peanut butter has a lot of protein for keeping your puppy strong and healthy.
When you use peanut butter, however, make sure it is as natural as possible. Many commercial peanut butter have additives and preservatives. Even better, try making your own peanut butter.
Making peanut butter cookies is relatively easy. You can make a simple dough by combining peanut butter with flour and water and a little baking powder and then baking it into small cookies. You should use the same amount of milk as peanut butter, so if you are using one cup of peanut butter you should use one cup of milk. Use double that for the flour.
Fruit and Yogurt Mix
This is a really easy recipe that is healthy, too. It will have a very opt texture that your Aussie puppy will love. However, make sure you do not use any yogurt that is high in fat. Instead, opt for low-fat yogurt when you make this treat.
Fruits are great for your puppy because they have vitamins and antioxidants that they need, so combining that with yogurt is great. Moreover, this can be a nice treat to use in the warmer months as it is served cold.
Consider getting creative with your mixture. You can use the following ingredients and then mix it in a bowl or blender until it is a nice, creamy consistency.
- Low-fat yogurt
If you want to add other berries, such as blueberries, you can. Get as creative as you like. Your Aussie puppy will thank you for it.
You can make biscuits for your Aussie puppy the same way you would make biscuits for yourself. However, Aussie puppies do tend to have an intolerance to gluten, so if you find that your biscuit recipe is upsetting your puppy’s stomach, you will need to alter the recipe.
However, this is easily done, and your Aussie puppy will love eating homemade biscuits. They are great because they are simple and quick to make, and they will include natural ingredients without anything extra.
Cheese is one of the most classic treats you can give your puppy. Aussie puppies love cheese as a treat, so if you do not want to make anything, you could always just give them a small slice of cheese when they have done something good.
However, you should not overload them with cheese, either. As with any treat, moderation is critical if you want your Aussie puppy to remain healthy. However, a piece of cheese is a great choice for a reward.
You can, however, get creative with how you give them the cheese. For example, your Aussie puppy will love it if you mix the cheese with meat. An easy way to do this is to take a piece of meat, a sausage for example, and cut it up into small pieces with the centers cut out. You can put some cheese in the center for them.
The combination of cheese and meat is great for your dog, and the meat will provide nutrients for them. Again, make sure that their treats only are used sparingly.
Chewy Vegetable Strips
Vegetables are great for your Aussie puppy because they provide many nutrients they need. However, your Aussie puppy also likes to chew. The best way to accommodate this is to make chewy vegetable strips.
These strips are not difficult to make. You are going to make a dough of vegetables with water, applesauce, and flour. You will then cut the dough into strips that you can then bake. Once these are baked and are soft but not too soft, they will be able to chew on them.